Physician Litigation Support
Physicians do get in disputes. When they do, I am called upon to give expert testimony either in deposition or before judges and juries involving economic and accounting matters. I routinely work on a wide variety of matters ranging from:
- Marital dissolution
- Damage assessment
- Calculation of lost profits
- Medical billing and collection disputes
- Overhead allocation disputes
- Business interruption
- Physician compensation disputes
- Medicare/Medicaid regulatory compliance
- Managed care reimbursement
- Physician-third party payer disputes
- Contract breaches
- General contract disputes
- Fraud investigation
- Minority interest buy-outs
- Business valuation
- Medical practice & healthcare valuations
Courts have also appointed me as Special Master and Receiver in litigation matters.
The following are the typical physician litigation support services I provide:
- Rendering a preliminary evaluation of the case
- Preparing expert reports
- Critiquing third-party appraisal reports
- Preparing interrogatories for parties to the litigation
- Advising legal counsel on matters of finance and valuation
- Assisting legal counsel in evaluating settlement proposals
- Assisting legal counsel during mediation
- Preparing questions for witness depositions
- Providing deposition and trial testimony
- Preparation of damage models
- Rebuttal of damage models
- Calculated physicians’ buy-out amount and final compensation due after contracts were terminated with group medical practice and physicians litigated for non-payment.
The following are recent examples of litigation cases I’ve been hired on as an expert witness:
Practice valuation and determination of the reasonableness of operating expenses paid
Economic damages expert in medical malpractice matter
Rebuttal expert witness in case involving emergency room physician’s breach of contract and wrongful termination of ER contact by hospital
Review of disputed compensation calculations alleged by former physician employee against orthopedic practice employer
Review of disputed compensation calculations alleged by former physician employee against pediatric practice employer
Economic damages expert in physician breach of contract action against former hospital employer
Practice valuation to help determine value of marital estate in divorce action
Economic damages expert in physician matter involving physician investment in ambulatory surgery center
Rebuttal expert witness in cardiologist’s lawsuit against former hospital employer regarding disputed compensation paid
Economic damages expert in group family practice breach of contact claim against independent practice association
Causasian expert representing public accounting firm in accounting malpractice case whereby medical practice alleged negligence by accounting firm in conduct of financial statement audits
Prepared valuation of departed physician’s partnership interest in hospital-based medical group
- Rebuttal witness for Federal Trade Commission and hospital system involving antitrust action against hospital acquisition of large medical practice.
- Review disputed medical billing issues on behalf of medical billing company.
- Valuation of departed physician’s partnership interest in radiology medical practice.
- Economic damages expert in physician slip & fall matter.
- Rebuttal expert in torturous interference claim by medical group against hospital system.
- Rebuttal expert in invoicing dispute by physician against medical billing company.
- Buy out valuation in matter related to split up of a physician radiology group practice.