Do you know your professional strengths and weaknesses? Test your knowledge of medical practice management with these sample questions from the American College of Medical Practice Executives (ACMPE) Knowledge Assessment:
1. Which of the following should be avoided to safeguard against the allegation of provider fraud?
a) Bundling services.
b) Failing to bill secondary carriers.
c) Using multiple fee schedules.
d) Waiving co-pays and deductibles.
2. Which of the following is NOT considered in determining the staffing ratio for an ambulatory setting?
a) Complexity of patients.
b) Ability and skill level of staff.
c) Square footage per full-time-equivalent employee.
d) Volume of patients.
3. Which of the following is NOT considered in determining physician evaluation and management (E&M) coding?
a) Time involved in counseling.
b) Nature and complexity of decision-making in addressing the problem.
c) Amount of medical history required to be taken and reviewed.
d) Demand for expertise in the locale.
4. Which of the following is typically the earliest sign of physician burnout?
a) Early retirement.
b) Decreased productivity.
c) Withdrawal from colleagues.
d) Enrollment in an MBA program.
Answers: 1:d; 2:c; 3:d; 4:b
ACMPE offers CD versions of the assessments in:
- General knowledge;
- Human resource management;
- Business and clinical operations;
- Risk management;
- Information management;
- Governance and organizational dynamics;
- Financial management; and
- Planning and marketing.
The Professional Responsibility assessment is coming soon and will be a free tool at mgma.com.
ACMPE designed the online assessments to help individuals evaluate their knowledge in the eight Technical and Professional Knowledge and Skills domains of the Body of Knowledge for Medical Practice Management, developed by ACMPE.
Use the assessments to:
- Identify areas for improvement and growth;
- Direct your professional development; and
- Study and practice for the ACMPE board certification exams.
The assessments are especially valuable as study guides for those seeking board certification in medical practice management. The assessments range from 95 to 175 multiple-choice questions. Once you submit a completed the assessment, you receive results in minutes – including a list of correct answers. You can take the assessment up to three times.
You also receive ACMPE credit for taking the assessments.
By Christina Pope, MGMA Communications manager
The assessments are part of the Medical Practice Management Core Learning Series, a structured approach to help medical practice managers and staff members build the core knowledge and skills required for success in their jobs and careers. It includes the Medical Practice Management Body of Knowledge Review Series: Box Set with a free Knowledge Assessment and Overview.