October 23, 2006, means only seven months remain until the NPI compliance date. Don’t procrastinate; getting an NPI is only the first step in preparing for the compliance date. Providers should allow time to share their NPI with payers and other trading partners, update referral lists as well as modify and test computer systems. Following are additional NPI updates:
- CMS has compiled a list of resources that will help to answer many questions on NPI.
- An FAQ on EFT of payments from health plans to health care providers was recently added to the CMS FAQ Web site.
- Providers may participate in the Latest WEDI Industry Survey. The last day to participate in the survey is October 31, 2006.
- Medicare is testing the new software that has been developed to use the NPI in the existing Medicare fee-for-service claims processing systems. Providers have until May 23, 2007, before they are required to submit claims with only an NPI.
- Medicare will require the NPI on its paper claim forms. A variety of MLN Matters articles are available on this topic on the CMS Web page.