Many of the multiple skills a good physician leader needs are innate rather than learned. I think these are some of them; let me know if you can think of others:
- Attitude. With a positive outlook, you can accomplish so much more—and get others to join you.
- Street smarts. Don’t discount street smarts in the world of healthcare.
- Humility. Leaders who take all the credit, forgetting about the colleagues who do the heavy lifting, fail to take their organizations to the next level of excellence.
- Class. In leaders with class, three other personality traits—integrity, passion, and intellect—naturally rise to the top.
- Listening. The ability and willingness to listen at all times serves leaders well.
- Sense of humor. A good laugh can relieve stress when you need it most.