Although the best way to cement the loyalty of physicians who refer patients to you involves giving each referred patient your quality medical skill in a pleasant manner, a little special nurturing helps. How can you thank referrers without overdoing it? Try these suggestions:
- Send a personal, handwritten note or card of thanks. In it, express your appreciation and thanks for some great cases, giving an example or two.
- Find out his or her special interest or hobby. Send a related gift along with a note or card, and you don’t have to wait until the holidays.
- Give a magazine or newsletter subscription. Include a note saying why you chose that particular text. Your referrer will have you in mind when looking at it.
- Remember the referrer’s staff. Send a special gift, such as a popcorn popper. Their good feelings toward you will help set the tone for the doctor.
- Invite frequent referrers to special events. Send them tickets to ballgames or shows, or invite them to accompany you depending on how well you know them.
- Above all else, report back to referrers promptly.