Most EMR software programs include a tracking mechanism to help ensure patients have completed recommended tests and consultant referrals. However many physician practices do not use these systems or have yet to discover they even exist. These tracking systems can minimize exposure to allegations of failure to diagnose and can lead to better patient care. Specifically, these systems can provide a way for you to:
- Verify that the patient keeps the appointment or completes the test;
- Confirm receipt of a report;
- Prompt a call to the consultant, imaging center, or lab if a report is not received;
- Make sure the physician reviews the report;
- Communicate results to patients;
- Arrange for follow-up if needed; and
- Document all these steps with dates and electronic signatures.