A 2016 Office of the Inspector General (OIG) report noted that providers may not be informing CMS of ownership changes. Providers must update their enrollment information to reflect changes in ownership within 30 days. Owners are individuals or corporations with a 5 percent or more ownership or controlling interest. Failure to comply could result in revocation of your Medicare billing privileges.
- Medicare: Vulnerabilities Related to Provider Enrollment and Ownership Disclosure OIG Report, May 2016
- Timely Reporting of Provider Enrollment Information Changes MLN Matters® Article
- Updated Manual Guidelines for Electronic Funds Transfer Payments and Change of Ownership MLN Matters Article
- 42 CFR 424.516
- PECOS Enrollment Tutorial – Change of Information for an Individual Provider
- PECOS Enrollment Tutorial – Change of Information for an Organization/Supplier