CMS received approval for a new Medicare Enrollment Application for physicians and non-physician practitioners (CMS-855I dated 12/2018). Many changes are minor; the major ones reduce provider burden:
- Eliminated reporting for advanced diagnostic imaging, Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments number, and the Food and Drug Administration radiology certification number
- Expanded instructions for individual and group affiliations to simplify reporting
- Made it optional to list a contact person
- Added electronic storage information for those who no longer keep paper records
- Created a more logical data flow
You may begin using the new application immediately. Through April 30, Medicare Administrative Contractors will accept applications dated 7/2011, but after that, you have to use the new version.