When an Employee needs another W-2


From The American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers – www.aipb.org

To reduce phone calls and avoid sending a duplicate to the wrong person (e.g., an ex-spouse), develop a policy and procedure, such as the following:

1.      Take requests for duplicate W-2s only in writing.

2.      When issuing a duplicate W-2.

Type "REISSUED STATEMENT” in the upper right-hand corner on all copies of the W-2. It is acceptable to use a copy of the employer’s copy.

If you are mailing W-2s to former employees, make a copy of the envelope showing the address that you used and put the date you mailed the duplicate on the photocopy.

If a W-2 is returned, keep it in the envelope. If you hear from the employee, put this envelope in another envelope and mail it to the corrected address. If not, keep it for at least 4 years as proof that it was mailed by the deadline.

Best policy: Create a "W-2 Request Form." But what employee data should go on the form? Is there any company data you should include? How can you make sure this form will provide proof that you met your legal obligations if the IRS gets involved?

Have questions? I’m here to help.